Saturday, December 18, 2010

Show me how to fly
I'm getting better all the time
Then 'round that bend well it was done
I came stopping with a screech
I got up undeterred
And to go harder I was spurred
But all my speed from that incline...
In the end I was beat

Advance, schmuck, advance!
Man, I never had a chance
And no one really knew
It was so close to a coup

So this race got away
But I heard them say
"Nice work you did.
You're gonna go far, kid."

With a thousand tries
I think none deny
I could ski up to the skies
I could ski up to the skies
But after today
Nothing more to say
See the lightning in my eyes
Tomorrow no compromise

Sometimes the most disappointing races are the ones that are pretty good, but were almost really good.  Today was one of those days.  My skis were rockets.  Everybody I skied around, including Drew Goldsack, who was third today, had slower skis that me.  I started out skiing so fast and feeling so good.  It was going to be one of those amazing days that don't come around very often.

Then I fell at the bottom of the course.  I got up and did my best, and still skied pretty well, but it wasn't the race that was at my fingertips.  It's not often you're feeling angry and disappointed about a pretty decent race.  It's not that I skied poorly after that.  I actually skied really well.  But when you come that close...

Oh well.  I've got tomorrow.  And the knowledge that I'm currently capable of the kind of race I felt at my fingertips is only a good thing.  Hopefully I can channel that tomorrow.  Hopefully I can channel that in Rumford.  Because I felt what today could have been in my soul, and I haven't been so happy during a race in a long, long time.

Oh, and yesterday was based on 867-5309/Jenny's Song, by Tommy Tutone.  But I'm guessing you all knew that.  Listening to today's while feeling like I do is pretty awesome, so hopefully you all figure this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment