Sunday, May 27, 2012

Maybe I Should Give My Posts Titles...

I suppose first off I should just say this Saturday (June 2) I'll be running the Vail Pass Half Marathon as part of the Teva Mountain Games.  It's a race up a pass in Vail.

Okay, as for how things have been going, it's been a mixed bag.  Training has been going quite well.  I've put in a few workouts that I've been very pleased with, and hopefully the fitness I get out of them will be apparent when it comes time to race fast.  But I do feel tired.  Luckily, I've got an easy run tomorrow.  But there are intervals the next day, so...

I'm also joining Team Colorado, which is a really low key team of not low key individuals who run up and down mountains and are from Colorado.  We're looking to run fast at Mount Washington on June 16, which is both the US Mountain Running Championships and the trials for World Mountain Running Championships.  Check out Team Colorado.  Check out Team Colorado:  http://teamcolorado.blogspot.com/

On the more mixed bag side of things, we had to put down my dog Wolf this week.  He was a 13 year old golden retriever, and was my companion for half my life.  That was tough.  That said, for the past 7 years or so I've thought he wouldn't make it through the year, so I guess the good news is that I got 7 more years with him than I thought I would.

Oh, we also had a wind storm yesterday that was so bad I couldn't run outside.  The entirety of Utah blew in, and visibility was down to maybe a mile for most of the afternoon.

One last thing.  And this is more of advice for all of the politicians out there campaigning.  A candidate for County Commissioner was doing a meet and greet where I started and finished a run the other day.  When I asked him about some long term issues that will affect the area in 15 or 20 years, his response was "I won't be around in 20 years."  If you are a politician trying to get a 20-something to vote for you, do not ever say this.  Their response will be something along the lines of my response.  "But I will."