Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Advice For What I Should Bee Doing With My Socks

I am writing this to ask for some advice.  First, I'm going to tell you what happened on my afternoon run today.

I've been training a lot and had a difficult last week.  I was doing what was supposed to be a relatively easy, relaxing run this afternoon.  Suddenly, I felt a terrible pain in my foot.  A bee got under the tongue of my shoe, freaked out, and stung me on top of my ankle.  This is the third time in a week that I've been nailed by something getting caught under the tongue of my shoe.  I'm mildly allergic to some sort of stinging insect, but usually when I get stung, whatever stung me is not in tact enough for me to positively identify the species.  However, I am a little worried that I'll end up with a not good reaction to whatever gets stuck under the tongue of my shoe next.  I also feel like my ankle is a little swollen, which is probably not the best for training.

I'm going to switch the detergent I use on my training socks in the hope that insects just really like the smell of my detergent.  However, just in case that isn't the case, I'm asking for your help.  Yes you, the one sitting on your computer.  Does anybody have advice on how to keep stinging and biting insects out from under my tongue?  And yes, I do run with my mouth closed.  I'll try to remember to enable comments in case anybody wants to post here, or you can post on my Facebook (since that looks like where most of you come to my blog from) or contact me in pretty much any other way.

Thanks for the help.

For those of you wondering what my difficult week was like, I did my most/least favorite workout on Friday.  Imagine the worst hills you can think of doing intervals on.  Then, make it ten times worse.  What you are imagining is probably a little easier than this workout.  Whenever I'm planning on doing this workout, I dread it for days.  On Sunday, I did a long run.  I felt tired, but I still managed to run about the time I've been running when I felt good.  Then, on Tuesday, I did another hill interval session.  The times were not good, but still much better than they were last year.  So now I'm tired.  And my foot hurts.